My uber clever two year old nephew Marcus like to clap his hands and exclaim, "I did it!" whenever he accomplishes something, like building a tower with blocks. It is adorable. I had my own "I did it!" moment today, although it was not nearly as adorable. A few months ago, my friend and I agreed to run a half marathon set on June 5. To prepare, I've been training since late February. Every week I do three shorter runs (generally 2 miles, 3-4 miles, 2 miles) and one run that grows by a mile every week. The schedule is set by a trainer at my friend's YMCA. Every week, I've eagerly anticipated the long run, at the same time fearing I could not do it. So far, I've been very proud of my ability to keep up.

Today was the ten mile run. I've never run double digits before so I was terrified. On the other hand, until a few weeks ago, I'd never run more than 6.5 miles. Not only have I done longer runs, but my speed and recovery time has also increased. I kept that in mind when I work up this morning, although things did not start well.

I began with some runs in the bathroom. Now, if I canceled plans every time I had a digestive mishap, I'd never go anywhere, so I figured I would give it a try even though I had an unfortunate mental image of me shitting my pants around the northwest corner of the park and needing to go another 3 miles like that before I could get home and change. When I arrived at the park, I discovered that there was a 10k race taking place and half of the outer loop (which is shared by pedestrians, bikers, and horse-drawn carriages) was roped off. Plus the racers were going clockwise as opposed to the normal running pattern of counterclockwise. And they didn't like to stay in the cordoned off area.

I set out, attempting not crash into runners (fortunately, the bikers were not out for some reason). A mile into the run, my GPS watch beeped. The battery was running low. If it died, I'd have no way to track my progress or know exactly when I hit the ten mile mark. I ran forward and hoped for the best.

Somehow, it all worked. I finished my first ten mile run in 96 minutes. The exhilaration was amazing. I could not believe that little asthmatic me could run such a long run. Then, being me, I began worrying about (and being excited for) next week's run, which is 11 miles. So it goes...