>Several years ago, my parents gave me a book called Drek!: The REAL Yiddish Your Bubbe Never Taught You by Yetta Emmes. (Of course, my bubbe did teach me some of what was in the book, like kurvah, which means "whore." She pretty much bitterly refers to any woman who is not yet widowed as a kurvah, but I digress.) With apologies to the adorable Millie, whose online Yiddish lessons I so enjoyed yesterday, here are some choice phrases in the book that I enjoyed learning this afternoon include:
- Gey tren zich - go fuck yourself
- Ich cock ahf im - I shit on him!
- kish mich in tukhes - kiss my ass
- Bareh nit - don't fuck with me
- Drek oif a shpendel - shit on a stick
- Groisser potz - big prick
I wonder how to say these things in Ladino, which is a mix of Spanish and Hebrew, the way Yiddish is a mix of German and Hebrew...